10 Ways To Switch Your Brain To Writing Mode When Working From Home

10 Ways to Switch Your Brain to Writing Mode When Working From Home

The post “10 Ways to Get Your Brain in Writing Mode While Working from Home” appeared first on ProBlogger.

10 ways to get your brain into writing mode while working from home

Photo by Humairah L. on Unsplash

This post was written by ProBlogger team member Stacey Roberts.

Can't find time to blog?

Me too.

In fact, this is one of the biggest problems people encounter when trying to write. Often we blog from home alongside other work and family commitments and it can be difficult to switch between them when needed. If you only have 90 minutes to write that day, all the good intentions in the world don't necessarily mean you can use every single one of those 90 minutes to the max with a brilliantly designed blog post and three witty tweets . your readers.

I write from home with two little ones and work on my blog in addition to freelance writing and my work here at ProBlogger. When I sit down at the computer after LEGO games and snacks, I don't always feel inspired and motivated to be productive. I have to force myself to make the most of my time, a dizzying mix of old-fashioned organization and brute force. I have found several ways to immerse myself in the game, when the game can be postponed at any time.

1. Create a ritual

There is nothing better than physically distinguishing one task from another. For me it's making a cup of tea, a relic of my journalism days, telling my head it's time to write. You can make a cup of coffee, fill a water bottle or play the same playlist every day. What helps your brain train on a new course?

2. Walk around the block

If you work from home, you may be tempted to work from the couch in your pajamas. And while that's certainly one of the perks of business, it won't actually help you be productive. Dress up, walk around the neighborhood and pretend to go "to work". Grab a cup of coffee on your way to the office, sit back and start your day.

3. Move to a new location

Sometimes a change of scenery is just the push you need to find your way into writing. Not feeling it at your table? Go out, sit at the kitchen table, go to a coffee shop, dry your hands and start over. Don't be afraid to move to find your own rhythm.

4. Be prepared

Nothing turns me off more than standing in front of a blank white screen. Where does it start? What if you can't come up with a good headline and don't know what's most important to cover? Before you know it, you've wasted half an hour of inactivity and have nothing to show for it. I've found that I'm at my best when I have a rough plan of what I need to cover in my posts minutes (even days) in advance. Then, when I sit down, I have to go from a few words to a whole skeletal outline that I just have to work out. This helps a lot because you can get into the flow even when you write your first sentence.

5. Work alone

We like to think we're multitasking ninjas, but research has shown that you actually don't accomplish as much as you think. Therefore, to train your brain to work at full capacity, you need to be tough and eliminate all distractions. If it's hard, tell yourself that you can sneak away every 15 minutes, but you have to do something during that time. Writing a lot is self-discipline, and when you don't have time to waste, it's even worse if you do.

6. Take two minutes to think

When you sit down to write, take a few minutes to think about the tasks ahead. Don't write anything, don't look at anything, just fill your mind with what you need to do. This will help you stop thinking about distractions and direct your thoughts in the right direction. It's a great way to find the line between what you've done and what you need to do, and it also works as a brainstorming tool for today's tasks.

7. Spend another two minutes sketching ideas

Now take a few minutes to write these thoughts down. I often find it's a mix of things for my to-do list, ideas to post, something to share with my Facebook followers, and key points I want to make in my posts. It also means I'm motivated and inspired to work on those elements, and it also ensures I'm not sitting in front of a horrible blinking cursor that does nothing to fuel my creativity.

8. Don't start over

One of the best things I've learned from writing novels is to stop when you're inspired. It seems counterproductive, but if you stop after the wave is over, you'll be a little lost for where to start when you pick it up again. This can mean you're wasting valuable time trying to figure out what to write about next. Picking up where you left off when you were on pace means you can work to your full potential, which does wonders for your productivity. There's nothing better than starting with a good article, it reduces the guilt of wasting time instead of reading eight Buzzfeed articles. Or maybe it's just me.

9. Do the worst first

I know I've been tempted to save the hardest part for last while I "warm up" for the easier tasks, but I've also found myself still dreading working while doing other things. And often I run out of time and have to find another time to finish it. I found myself doing my best when I was the first to get the big problem out of the way, almost like ripping off a Band-Aid. All you do after that is gravy.

10. Use Endnotes

If you're like me, you'll see some posts from three days ago that make little sense. Mirfin. what is mirfin It also seems important…” So while it's helpful to take notes when inspiration strikes, it's even more helpful if these are recent notes so you still remember what you need to do and when. I often do this by writing notes in emails or using the note-taking feature on my phone and laptop. Sometimes I even run a beta and use pencil and paper. But the shorter the period, the better for you.

I'd love to hear what helps you keep your head on track when you're working from home. Want to share some tips?

Stacey Roberts is a ProBlogger.net Content Ninja and Veggie Mama blogger. He can be found making mud, reading The Cat in the Hat for the hundredth time, and refusing to do laundry. See the proof on Instagram here, Facebook here and Twitter @veggie_mama.

This article was first published on December 12, 2013 and was updated on August 25, 2022.

The post “10 Ways to Get Your Brain in Writing Mode While Working from Home” appeared first on ProBlogger.

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post